Week 4: Information Systems Paper
Week 4: Information Systems Paper (graded, 200 points)
Information Systems in Healthcare Paper Guidelines
The purpose of this assignment is to select a topic related to information systems in healthcare from the list provided, research and analyze the topic, and describe how you will apply your newfound knowledge to your nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet one or more of the following Course Outcomes depending on the topic selected.
CO 1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to address the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO 1)
CO 2: Analyze data from all relevant sources, including technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO 2)
CO 3: Define standardized terminology that reflects nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes. (PO 3)
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
CO 5: Identify patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO 5)
CO 6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional ethics, and legal requirements related to data security, regulatory requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO 6)
CO 7: Examine the use of information systems to document interventions related to achieving nurse sensitive outcomes. (PO 7)
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
Click to download the NR361 Information Systems Paper Rubric (Links to an external site.).
Your completed paper is due in Week 4. Be sure to submit your assignment. Post your questions to the Q & A Forum. Contact your instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies regarding late assignments and academic integrity. Failure to submit your paper on time will result in a deduction of points.
Select one of these topics for the focus of your paper.
- Standard terminologies (CO 3, CO 8)
- Decision-making support tools (CO 4, CO 8)
- Patient education technology (CO 5, CO 8)
- Data integrity and its legal and ethical implications (CO 7, CO 8)
- You are to research, analyze, and write an APA-formatted scholarly paper about the topic that you have selected.
- Write an introduction that defines and describes the topic. Address what purpose the topic serves and how it impacts the delivery of healthcare in general and nursing care in particular. Keep in mind that APA guidelines state you are not to use the heading “Introduction,” but you should include it at the beginning of your paper.
- Search for scholarly sources and relevant websites. Include a minimum of two scholarly sources. The course textbook does not qualify as a scholarly source. Cite all sources in the body of the paper and include them in the References list following proper APA formatting.
- Provide one example of this topic. Describe the main features or aspects of the example with support from your sources.
- Describe an experience where the topic impacted you personally, either when you were receiving healthcare or when you were providing nursing care. Relate one positive aspect or one negative aspect of this experience and how it could have been improved.
- Write a conclusion that summarizes the topic, the purpose, and how your newfound insight will influence your nursing care.
- Use Microsoft Word to develop your paper. Use APA formatting. Refer to the Publication Manual of the APA, sixth edition. Review the various APA documents included in this course and the Chamberlain Care Student Success Strategies (CCSSS) that can help you with your writing. Take advantage of the tutoring services that are available to Chamberlain students for free.
- The length of the paper should be a maximum of 4–5 pages, excluding the title page and the reference page. There should only be one small quote maximum in the paper. Citations should primarily include summary and restatement.
**Academic Integrity Reminder**
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment. Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.